The LACC strives to reduce our environmental impact while providing a positive experience to our clients and their guests. We do so by installing new technologies and implementing operational best practices to reduce our energy and water usage, as well as the amount of waste we generate. The LACC also works to educate our clients, guests, and staff about environmental issues and encourages them to engage in sustainable practices. Our commitment to environmental stewardship has been recognized by numerous organizations, including the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the United States Green Building Council. We are honored to be a LEED Gold certified facility.
Energy Conservation and Renewable Energy
- Solar generation plants, which feed renewable energy back to the local grid
- Energy-efficient lighting, including LED and CFL technology
- Saving Power Energy Management System, which manages and reduces energy consumption throughout the building
- A “cool roof” and light defusing windows, which reflect sunlight and heat away from the building
- Upgraded exhibit hall doors, which prevent air conditioning from leaking into unused areas
- Low NOx and CO2 emission steam boilers
- 190 low-flush urinals, which conserve more than 1,000,000 gallons of water annually
- Water-efficient kitchen dishwashers, which save close to 630,000 gallons of water annually
- Chemical-free water treatment technology
Waste and Recycling
- Recycling of glass, plastic, paper, aluminum, pallets, scrap metal/steel, toner/ink cartridges, wood, cardboard, and more
- Recycling of cooking oil, which is converted into biodiesel
- Composting of food and landscape waste
- Bullet – Water-saving irrigation system
- Local, small business partners for on-site dining
- Local and organic food
- 100% free-range, hormone-free, grass-fed beef, turkey, pork, and chicken
- Increasing the use of china/glass/silverware to reduce single-use disposable items
- 100% cage-free eggs
- Liquid dairy is rBGH free
- Green cleaning products at the LACC
Education and Communication
- Employee Green Team, which creates a forum for employees to get involved in environmental issues at the LACC
- Environmental education events, including Earth Hour, Earth Day, and America Recycles Day
- Accessible by Metro Expo Line, Red Line, and Purple Line, as well as several bus lines
- Public transportation subsidized for employees and encouraged for guests
- Employee bicycle ridership program and necessary facilities (e.g., bike racks, showers)
LACC is proud to participate in AEG 1EARTH, AEG’s corporate sustainability program. The AEG 1EARTH mission is to reduce the company’s environmental impact and drive business value through sustainability. Through AEG 1EARTH, AEG identifies goals to guide company decision-making, measures and quantifies the environmental impact of its activities, and develops strategies and tools to improve the company’s overall environmental performance. In 2010, AEG established a set of eight specific performance goals for 2020 across five areas: Energy and Climate, Water, Waste and Recycling, Responsible Purchasing, and Education and Communication. To measure progress towards these goals, AEG uses its Ecometrics environmental performance tracking system to capture up to 86 monthly data points from each venue. In addition to tracking and reducing its environmental impact, AEG also works to educate and engage guests and employees in environmental issues through messaging in-venue messaging, social media, websites, and events. For more information on the AEG 1EARTH program and the company’s progress toward its 2020 goals, check out AEG’s 2014 Sustainability Report.
Green Tip of the Week
Did you know that per gallon, bottled water costs more than gasoline?!
Ditch bottled water; invest in a filtration system and a reusable water bottle instead!